California Photographer specializing in Award Winning Nature and Wildlife Photography. Site Features :
- SmugMug Photography Site
- Mobile Friendly
- Mobile Friendly Shopping Cart
- Variety of gallery styles – collage style and SmugMug style
- Left Logo / Right Navigation – easy to use
- Text pages – easy to use update
- Very Elegant look and feel
- Social Media Links and Sharing Capabilities
- WordPress Blog customized with same look/feel for seamless integration
We had the opportunity to interview Jim and here is what he had to say…
1. Why do you like photography ?
I have always been a creative person. Photography allows me to take common events and moments and turn them into memorable images.
2. What is your favorite type of photography ?
I have always had a keen sense of observation. The great outdoors is a wide open canvas to explore especially if you appreciate what you see. My camera lens seems to always point towards nature and wildlife.
3. Share a funny story about your photography…
I was camping at the “race track” in Death Valley. It is where the rocks move and leave a long track in the dry lake bed. Scientists are still trying to figure out how it happens. When I arrived and started to put my tent up it was a beautiful evening. The air was crisp and clean with no wind. The silence was deafening. About mid-night all hell broke loose. The wind had to be 30-40 miles an hour. The wind was not gusts of, it was non stop wind. I was comfy and secure in my tent. All my equipment was with me so it kept the tent from flying away. After a few hours I just fell asleep wind and all. At about 3AM the wind just stop. It was like flicking a switch on and off. The moon and stars were out, the air was cool and crisp just like nothing ever happened. It was as if I had just dreamed the last few hours.
4. Share a photography trick or tip…
I like to use Live View when at all possible. Live View lifts the mirror up so there is less vibration in the camera when you take the photo. While taking the picture use a remote so you don’t touch the camera. It also allows me to see the shot in the LCD which helps with fine tuning the focus. You can further fine tune the focus by magnifying by 5x or 10x. Live View shooting should be done on a tripod.
5. What is your favorite/recommended piece of camera or camera equipment?
I always say, “buy the best you can afford” go for quality. I would have to say my Canon 1DX is my favorite piece of equipment and most expensive.
6. Why do you love SmugMug and/or jR Customization ?
I like jR Customization because they always told me what they needed, where they were at in the process and when they were available. Also, because they does this all the time – they have good experience when you ask a question or want an opinion. No surprises.
7. What is your major goal or photography project for 2015-2016 ?
I would like to get my blog followed by more people. It will emphasize learning from my experiences so that people who read my blog will learn something and I guarantee that if they do what I say they will become better photographers. My secondary goal is to become a better competitive landscape photographer.
8. How can readers learn more about you ?
That’s easy. They can check out my website at www.jimakersphotography.com and enjoy the many award winning photos. And, they can join my blog at blog.jimakersphotoraphy.com or just click on the blog navigation tab in my website.